Frequently Asked Questions about Facilities, Staff, Costs, Travel, Communications, and Medical.


General Questions

1. What is the length of a typical Visiting Program?

Most visiting programs are one to two weeks. The length of a program can vary depending on objectives, goals, and planned activities. What kinds of non-academic activities could I participate in? Activities may include, but are not limited to: free-diving, snorkeling, SCUBA diving, sea-kayaking, morning exercise, camping, and research.

2. If I am not a school program, can I still use your facility for a retreat?

Yes, we accommodate visiting scientists, retreats, workshops, and other programs that focus on research, education, and community outreach.

3. What are the general rules and expectations?

The Cape Eleuthera Institute and neighboring Island School campuses are focused on community and cooperation. We expect everyone who participates in our courses to help out both in formal daily chores and general assistance with maintenance on the facility. This includes:

  • Daily cleaning of dorm spaces and bathrooms

  • Daily cleaning of common and classroom spaces

  • Assistance with dishwashing at meals

  • General tidiness and respect of property

4. What is the alcohol, drugs, and smoking policy?

The campus is a dry campus, and alcohol is not allowed in any dorm. This is not a flexible policy. For adults over the legal drinking age, we may host events off-campus or at our adult conference center, Hallig House where controlled social drinking may be allowed. Alcohol consumption is not allowed under any circumstances for minors and will result in dismissal from the program. Illegal drugs or abuse of legal drugs are also cause for immediate dismissal- this will not be tolerated. We strongly discourage smoking anywhere on campus. Smoking is not allowed in any campus buildings.

5. Who can I talk to for specific questions?

Please direct all questions to Ana Miguel.


1. How many people can you accommodate? Are males and females mixed in dorm?

Our dorms have open style living spaces with several bunks per room. We can accommodate a total of 24 people in our two dorms with separate bathroom for men and women. We do not have at this time spaces to accommodate couples. Depending on the availability of housing, instructors may be housed in separate, semi-private spaces.

In addition, we now have a Conference Center accommodations for visiting scientists and professors called Hallig House Fees for this accommodation start at $140 per night based on double occupancy. Please contact Ana Miguel for details on availability for conference use as well.

2. Is food provided?

We provide three meals a day, seven days a week for all visitors. The meals are served buffet style in our dining hall. We try to make every effort to serve wholesome, nutritious meals that feature locally grown produce and imported organic bulk foods. We have a vegetarian option available at every meal and we request that you specify in advance if you have other dietary requirements or allergies. We do also provide snacks during the day in the eating area, but we ask that you do not prepare your own meals (or bring your own snacks in single use packaging to our campus).

3. What else do I need to bring?

To make your stay more comfortable and be able to enjoy the full spectrum of activities we suggest paying close attention to our General Packing List for visiting programs.

4. Are there boats available for use?

We have four bay boats and one large dive boat available for use. These boats are also shared during The Island School semester (March–June and September–December) and may have limited availability on a few select days. Please discuss your boat requirements prior to arrival with the Director of Visiting Programs.

5. Are there vehicles available for use?

We have several vans and a work truck that are available for use. During The Island School semester (March–June and September–December) vehicles are shared between the two campuses and might have limited availability.

6. Is lab space available?

Yes, we have fully equipped dry lab spaces and a 3000m2 wet lab area with a flow-through seawater system and a fresh water recirculating system. Tanks (in a variety of sizes) can be rented by the day, week, or month. Specific experimental tank setups that require specialized plumbing may cost extra.


1. Are staff and teachers available throughout the day?

Instructors that have been pre-assigned to a program are available throughout the day. Please discuss the use of Cape Eleuthera Institute personnel prior to your arrival with The Director of Visiting Programs.

2. Do you have staff available to guide us on expeditions beyond the campus?

Yes, our instructors are experienced and familiar with Eleuthera.

3. Do you have staff available to drive vans and boats?

Yes, we can provide staff members to drive vans and boats. Please discuss Cape Eleuthera Institute personnel use prior to arrival with The Director of Visiting Programs.


1. What are the approximate costs of the Program?

The current base rate is $190 per person per night. Depending on activities, facility use, and instruction requirements, this rate may increase. For example, a visitor requiring a full time Cape Eleuthera Institute instructor, wet lab tank setup and rental, and/or daily van and boat use will pay more than the base rate.

2. Do I need to pay a deposit?

We require 30% of the total cost of your program at least 3 months before your program start date. This will secure your dates and is a non-refundable deposit. The final 70% of your fee is due upon arrival. Unfortunately we cannot reserve dates for your program until we have received your deposit


1. Do I need a visa or passport to enter The Bahamas?

All persons entering The Bahamas must have a valid passport, but a visa is not required. All participants will enter the country as students at The Island School on Cape Eleuthera. Your names will have been pre-authorized for entry by local immigration.

2. How do I go about making travel arrangements?

You can find information here to aid in planning your travel arrangements. We do not make travel arrangements for groups.

3. Is transportation to and from the Airport provided?

We provide transportation to and from the airport in Rock Sound, Eleuthera (airport code ~ RSD) which is 45 minutes from our campus. Please note we do NOT provide transportation to or from either Governor’s Harbour or North Eleuthera airports on Eleuthera – Rock Sound will be our only pickup. If for any reason you do arrive into Governor’s Harbour or North Eleuthera airports, please be aware that the cost of a one way taxi ride to our campus ranges from $100-200.


1. Should I bring a personal laptop? Are there computers available?

Instructors or visiting scientists can bring their personal laptops. We recommend that students bring their personal laptops for academic courses, but students will likely not have access to the internet. This minimizes the risk to our network and also to your laptop. We have several computers that are available for e-mail when the Island School is not in session. We do not allow visiting high school students access to the internet. University students are allowed access but may not use chat programs or skype, as these programs take up much of our limited bandwidth.

2. Is there a phone for use on campus?

We have made great efforts to have a reliable communication system, but it cannot handle the phone demands of a full campus of 100 or more people. Phones will, of course, be available for any emergency or administrative needs or by permission of a Cape Eleuthera Institute staff member.

3. Can I use my cell phone?

Cell phone service varies and surcharges may apply. In short, do not rely on your cell phone on Eleuthera.

4. Am I allowed to send or receive mail?

Mail is sent out from campus several times per week. Mail, however, can take up to 2 weeks to reach the campus, so it may not be worth trying to have letters or packages sent down.


1. What about Medical Insurance and Evacuation Procedures?

All foreign (non-Bahamian) visitors (students, instructors, visiting scientists, etc.) are required to have Divers Alert Network (DAN) BASIC MEMBERSHIP. This membership, which can be purchased for approximately $39, includes TravelAssist evacuation service.

2. Are there any medical or liability forms that need to be completed prior to arrival at CEI?

We require all visitors to complete a medical history form and sign a liability release form. These need to be returned to us at a minimum of two weeks before arriving on campus. You can download the form here.

3. What is DAN? Do I need insurance to SCUBA dive?

“As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. Effective for both diving and non-diving injuries, this benefit is provided by MedAire, a world leader in emergency evacuation services. Your evacuation coverage begins when you are traveling at least 50 miles/80 km from home and call DAN TravelAssist to arrange your evacuation.”

For any visitor that is SCUBA diving, we request people buy the PREFERRED LEVEL MEMBERSHIP which includes enhanced benefits over and above the basic level. To sign up, use our facility number 447558 for referral and call 1-800-446-2671, or visit the DAN webpage.